Wednesday, February 23, 2005

That one spy show

Tonight I watched my third episode of Alias, that spy show that everyone loves, and I guess I can see the appeal, but I can’t really enjoy it without rolling my eyes every couple of minutes and how contrived it all seems. Perhaps film school has ruined such things for me, or perhaps I just don’t like TV very much, but I have a hard time getting into it. There are elements that I like – I get kind of a kick out of all the spies getting together and going shopping or bowling once in a while, and the fact that the main character works with her sister on a spy team run by her dad and her sister’s dad (who is probably evil??), which conveniently allows for a lot of father-daughter angst, but somehow I can’t get past the artificiality of it all.
The supporting characters all hit their requisite sinister or quirky beats, there’s lots of talk about mysterious plots and prophesies (to be covered in future episodes one assumes), a mission or two inter-cut with lots of kind of boring office/headquarters scenes, and a couple of good spoonfuls of sex and violence.
I used to think that the commercials were what kept me from watching television, but tonight’s episode was the first I watched that hadn’t been Tivo’d, and it was actually the one I enjoyed the most. I think television shows are actually paced for commercials, and although they’re annoying and it is always disturbing to me to hear my friends singing joyfully along with the jingles for life insurance, it seems like shows lose a lot of their punch and tension if you can watch them all in one chunk.
No, I think what keeps me from watching television shows, especially dramas, is the sameness of it all.
Except for the spy-specific elements, the episodes of Alias I saw were not that different from the episode and a half of The O.C. I watched one time – very pretty, entertaining enough to keep you through the commercials, and always promises more of the same the next week. I guess that’s what’s considered good television, but to me it just seems like so much going through the motions. Each episode is like a remix of the same pop song, or at least another pop song by the same artist. Nothing is revealed without setting up something else to come back for the next week, there’s little creative risk-taking involved, no permanent lessons learned by the characters, and with no end in sight there isn’t much of a reason to keep watching for me. I think that without some sort of ending, most stories are robbed of their meaning or purpose. Each episode has some sort of end, but really enjoying the show means you have to keep tuning in next week to find out what happens to the characters! But even with all the exciting cliffhangers and such, I can’t help feeling that whatever happens to them will just be . . . something else. Again.
Last year I took a television writing class at Chapman, one of the best classes I’ve taken anywhere, and our prof frequently brought in guest lecturers from the industry. One of them, the oldest, warned us that his job was not for the light of heart or the idealistic, and he cautioned us about getting into the TV business. “When you get right down to it,” he said, “television is all about numbing or shocking the viewer into sticking around for the commercials. And that’s it.”
And I don’t think I’ve really enjoyed television since then.

5 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

I'm not defending TV since I think most of it is garbage, but I also think it is hard to judge something without full knowledge of it.

In other words, since you haven't seen Alias from the beginning, I don't think you can judge whether there are permanent lessons learned, or whether there is an end in sight etc...

The show isn't the most amazing thing that has ever appeared on television, but if you have seen it from the beginning there is allot more there than you realize having just seen a couple episodes.

Then again, I judge TV too because I think that The OC is the crappiest show to ever be on TV and I've only seen about 1/2 of 3 episodes.

Sigh...I'm defending television. Maybe it's the sleep deprivation mixed with 6 shots of espresso this morning.

Thu Feb 24, 09:11:00 AM PST  
Blogger Aaron said...

I know that I can't see a TV show in the same way as someone sitting on the couch next to me who has watched every episode from the beginning (or even more than three!), but on the other hand, they can't see it the same way that I can. Having gone on a journey with these characters and plots for weeks, months, years, etc, means that a long-time viewer will have a much closer connection to the show. On one hand, it means that they'll "get" stuff that I don't, and perhaps enjoy the show more than me. On the other hand, they might be too close to it to judge an episode simply on its own merits and not on what came before.

Now I realize that a lot of these shows are meant to be watched every week, and that to have missed what came before is esentially to miss what the show's about. But as someone who's just coming into things, I see a bunch of one-note characters drifting through plot points that don't seem to carry much weight. I'm sure things will get clearer if I invested more time into watching the show, watched every new episode and rented the old DVD collections, but from an initial jumping-on point, I wasn't inspired or interested enough to head down that road.

Still, since everyone around me seems to love it, I might watch some more Alias and my opinion might change. But I don't think I'd seek the show out on my own.

Fri Feb 25, 08:30:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same opinion of Alias. Can't stand to watch it because it is so contrived. You are not alone! You don't have to watch it anymore. I don't! :)

Fri Feb 25, 04:40:00 PM PST  
Blogger Grant said...

What TV show is not contrived?

Fri Feb 25, 07:40:00 PM PST  
Blogger Aaron said...

Elimidate.
<3 <3 <3


p.s. just kidding

Fri Feb 25, 11:07:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home