Monday, February 14, 2005

Dating Status Awareness Day
No one seems to care much that it's Valentine's Day. There are new flowers in the girls' house, and Ed is out making similar deliveries to other houses, but perhaps because it's a Monday, no one seems that excited about this particular holiday.
Well, I am!
It's very hip to dis Valentine's Day. I know it's all very corporate, and an excuse to sell candy and greeting cards, and that like Earth Day, every day should be Valentine's Day and that love shouldn't be boxed in on a calender like an affectionate elephant that is kept in a cage only to be let out once a year to preform in a superficial circus event where everyone applauds and laughs and then . . . forgets.
So yeah, On the surface, it's a perfectly good day to boycott. One year Grant wore an upside down heart saftey-pinned to his shirt to commemorate the day, and I thought that was cool. Today in my screenwriting class a gothy guy came shirtless, with his nipples colored black and connected by lines of black makeup or greasepaint to an abstract heart he'd drawn in the middle of his chest with . . . well, I'm pretty sure it was his own blood. I did not think that was cool. I'm actually sort of worried about him.
Hmm, so now I'm still excited about it being Valentine's Day, but after talking about people literally scarring themselves over the holiday, I don't feel much like talking about it any more right now.

La la la?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home