Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Writing about writing/Statement of purpose
Words need to come to me faster than they have been. I feel like my vocabulary has sort of packed up and started moving out of my brain. I look around for boxes that used to be in my mental garage, but the useful, precise words I used to keep there seem to have disapeared, only to be replaced by gaudy, anxious analogies (like this one) which are merely functional, not to mention messy and far too wordy.
Two years ago, I thought that I might like to be a prose writer and leave this whole movie-writing business behind. I found that I enjoyed editing together little sentences full of sparkle and flares of light much more than coming up with silly make-believe stories designed to glue folks to their chairs in a dark room while the sun was still shining. And anyway, I had like NO good ideas for scripts.
But now, after a few sequence-centric screenwriting classes, I've found that I can spin plots and scenarios with relative ease, outlining and diagraming more films than I could possibly write this semester in the space of a week -- and don't come in brainless bulk, these are all projects I would love to work more on.
But when I sit down to type a sentence, I find that I'm so out of practice I hardly know where the period goes. I need to generate over two hundred pages of finished script this semester, but I am not yet in that sort of shape.
So I plan to write here once a day, as practice in getting the fuzziness in my brain into sparkling little letters and words. It may not look very nice, and might be less than substantial, but it will be concrete. It will be production. And you're welcome to read it if you'd like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home