Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Writing is hard!

Being enrolled in two screenwriting classes means I have to come up with two stories worthy of being feature films and flesh them out in just a few weeks before starting to write pages. Nothing's worse for a writer than getting halfway into a project and realizing that not only do you not have anything more to say, you don't really care, and that no actually, nobody will care, because the entire piece was flawed from the start and utterly pointless -- and having to finish it anyway in order to pass the class.
So getting off the ground on the right foot is not just important, it's necessary. Now is the point in the semester where I'm running out of time to worry about which foot I'm on, and just start writing running with both feet forward (this is very difficult, as anyone who's tried running with both feet forward will tell you. or writing with both feet forward for that matter!).
I came into this semester with a lot of ideas, and began to develop a lot more, which is a blessing. The hardest part these last couple of weeks has been deciding which projects I want to develop and in which classes. I've jumped back and forth a lot, to the point where I've had conversations like this:
"So I was talking to Christina about how you always have such weird scripts."
"Oh yeah? Like which one? I don't always have weird scripts."
"Like that super hero one you're doing."
"Oh yeah, I'm not doing that one any more. That was a good idea though. Maybe I should write that one instead."

I switched scripts again this past weekend, and I think am I in for the long haul now. Which means I have to start plotting. I spent about four hours plotting today, and not even for anything devious, just for a movie! You'd think someone who spent that much time plotting would plot, I don't know, world domination, or a nuclear robot submarine or something, but no. I just plotted a movie. It does involve someone else plotting for more or less world domination, though, and that was the hardest part to figure out.

Is there a point here? Mostly that I need to keep writing, and keep writing more. Also, the point is that I made this point under my deadline of having it done today! So hooray writing. I'm just starting to realize there were better things to talk about, but it's almost midnight! Tomorrow, perhaps. I'm already plotting my next post.

Beware! mwahahahahahaahahahaha *ahem* ha ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home