Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving.

Since 2001 when I left home for the wide, wide world, I have aquired something of a tradition of celebrating Thanksgiving in a different place and with different people each year. This is not to say that the feast is always forigen, because there's always been turkey and pumpkin pie (although I will say that the Spanish serve turkey in a rather unique way), and more importantly, the joys of being with friends and the comfort of remembering God's grace and faithfulness.
I imagine that all these things have been present at Thanksgiving just about every time it cycles around each fall, but more and more I find myself identifying with one aspect of Thanksgiving that is often forgotten by those who see the same faces around the same table year in and year out -- the first of these feasts was celebrated with friends and family to be sure, but the Pilgrims were strangers in a strange land. They were lucky to just be alive, and certinally would not have a chance of making it through the winter without the support and guidence of the native Americans.
And, well, I kind of feel the same way. I'm done with school, I don't have a steady real-life job, my church is restructuring, I no longer have the support of my girlfriend (by my decision), writing has been a struggle, and I'm honestly not sure where on this earth I will be living in a year.
I'd really like to believe that I can make it on my own.

But come on.

Fortunately, I've been blessed with support systems all around me. I know, without a doubt, that I need them. And for that reason, I think I feel more thankful this Thanksgiving than ever before. I've been blessed by many things, including many open invitations for Thanksgiving dinner today. I know that I don't deserve all that I've been given, but it is my deepest prayer that some day I will be able to pay back to others the kindness that I have recieved.
This is a little mushy, and I'm sorry. I'll talk about the details of today's Thanksgiving tomorrow.
For now, to everyone I've known over this past year, and I mean this deepy,

thank you.
xxxxoooo

3 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

you're very welcome, and i mean that deepy

Fri Nov 25, 09:14:00 AM PST  
Blogger Grant said...

thank you too

Sat Nov 26, 05:18:00 PM PST  
Blogger -Aaron- said...

good thing for those native Americans!

Thanksgiving-time love,

Mon Nov 28, 05:14:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home