Saturday, March 04, 2006

Recommended video, and The Only Trick to Controlling Your Destiny

My cousin Summer recommended this video to me, and now I'm recommending it to you. It's an actual "feature-length" movie, over an hour long, so don't jump in if you're, I don't know, on a lunch break or something.

Kintaro Walks Japan

The film is a documentary about this guy who has graduated from college and isn't sure what to do with his life, so he decides to walk the entire length of Japan, partially to find his father's birthplace, partially to impress his half-Japanese girlfriend whose father walked the entire length of North America, and partially because "when you give yourself to the journey, the journey gives itself to you."
It's a great story, and also got me thinking about the limits of the human spirit and destiny and all that. The whole trip took him about five months, which is about the length of time I've been working as a host as Koisan Japanese Cuisine.
That's not an insignificant amount of time, but it's not long at all in the grand scheme of things. Most anyone I know could take a few months off to have a great adventure.
Some of them have.
But a lot of them haven't.
I don't know if that's necessarially a bad thing. A peaceful, uneventful life is nothing to spit at. But it does seem to me that everyone should complete at least one extraordinary undertaking while they are on this planet, something that fulfills some sort of destiny.
The question then becomes: what is destiny? I think it is whatever makes your story incredible (which is, of course, why it's such a common theme in incredible stories). Theoretically, most any able-bodied 24 year-old man with just a touch of insanity in him should be able to walk the length of Japan. If they did, this movie would be a lot less interesting.
What is it that brought this one guy to do it, though? I have a hard time believing that he was simply MEANT to do it. Perhaps he was COMPELLED to do it, but that's not the same thing. I've been compelled to do a lot of amazing things, but taken a nap or something instead, always with the sensation that it was a concious choice, and that at any moment I could spring from my bed and embrace some particular destiny.
There are external factors as well of course -- the walk-across-Japan guy has a lot of people pushing for him, which I'm sure makes the journey that much easier -- but I think it ultimately comes down to two steps:
a). being compelled
and
b). saying "YES"
and oh, I guess there are actually three things:
c). not giving up, no matter what.

I think we're all compelled by a lot of things. A girl who I work with at the sushi bar was telling me how she was quitting her job to, well . . . she wanted to go to design school, but she also might get her teaching credential and teach Spanish, or go back to school for a master's degree, or might teach overseas, or . . .
It's a common feeling for us post-graduates. It's a common feeling for everyone, I think.
The hardest part is that first step, step b)., the step TO BE, the step to YES.
But I think that it is perhaps the only real trick to controlling your destiny.

What do you choose?

6 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

I think that when it comes down to whether or not we have freewill, or are controled by "Destiny," we may never know the answer.
Far smarter people than myself have wrestled with this question and it still remains largely unanswered.
So I guess it kind of comes down to choosing which side to believe in (oops, I already gave myself away there), and I am inclined to believe that destiny (yes, with a lowercase d) is something that we choose rather than something which chooses us.
Not that I can know with any certianty. But it sure FEELS like I am free to make my own choices.
I believe that God acts in our lives and gives us nudges, hints and intuitions, but in the end it comes down to what we choose to do.

Of course I'm curious to know what you think as well.

Mon Mar 06, 04:55:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surely you've seen (or acted in?) "Pippin" the musical?

Mon Mar 06, 08:28:00 PM PST  
Blogger Aaron said...

I haven't. I don't know anything about Pippin.

How does this relate?

Mon Mar 06, 09:12:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PIPPIN
ACT ONE

Pippin, a young prince searching for complete fulfillment, sets foot on the outside world. In his search, he valiantly decides to become a soldier. So, he joins his father's campaign but he soon realizes that he thought "There'd be more plumes." He then visits his grandmother, who gives him some "wise" advice. But Pippin finds out that her advice wasn't so wise after all. Meanwhile, Charlemagne, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and Pippin's father, is up to his usual business of slaying thousands. Upon hearing this, Pippin decides to murder him.
ACT TWO

King Pippin tries ruling his father's empire but soon discovers that it's more than a piece of cake. He tries different careers. Finally, in despair, he thinks that he has no more hope in achieving his complete fulfillment. Then suddenly, out of the blue, your average ordinary kind of woman, Catherine, picks him up off the street. Pippin is charmed by the woman with a small boy and a large estate. But, still thinking that love isn't complete fulfillment, he leaves her. With nothing else to try, there is only one thing left -- the finale.

email: writeme@i-manila.com.ph


Sign Our Guestbook View Our Guestbook


Pippin Home | Synopsis | Complete Lyrics | Pictures of Our Production
Pippin MIDIs | Pippin Forum | Vote | For Sale

Tue Mar 07, 08:35:00 PM PST  
Blogger Aaron said...

Merriam-Webster describes destiny as "a predetermined course of events often held to be an irresistible power or agency," and going by that definition, yes it does seem to mean that we can't control our fate.
I still remain slightly skeptical - just because we have a word for something doesn't mean it exists, and I am inclined to believe that destiny is a way to describe things that happen in stories (real or made-up) rather than something that actually controls our lives.

I believe that God does know everything about us, including what we will do, but I also believe that our paths aren't set in stone. I realise this is contradictory, but it doesn't bother me that God is full of mysteries. The way I see it, if our futures are predetermined, then salvation is not something we can work out, only something we wait to see if we were picked for, as if we were watching a movie of our own lives.
If our lives are predetermined, why do we struggle with choices and possible outcomes? We can only make one choice, ultimately, but it sure feels like we get to pick which one that is most of the time.
I know that I have put off doing things simply because I felt like they were things I was destined to do anyway, so it didn't matter what I did in the moment. I'm not sure if that's a healthy outlook.
But I'm curious to know what you think.

I don't really understand the stuff about Pippin though. Maybe I am slow to catch on? I was sad that I couldn't click for Pippin MIDIs, too :(

Tue Mar 07, 10:55:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MESSAGE

Tue Feb 13, 07:51:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home