Monday, August 27, 2007

My weapon of choice is MS_PAINT

A lot of my job involves the same thing every office job involves: the paper trails, the endless e-mails, the unfathomable memos, the crashing waves of existential angst, the giddy excitement of ordering boxes and boxes of pens, the acting need to act aloof when using the copier so that it doesn't smell your fear and start jamming again and again, the carpal tunnel, the interoffice small talk (everyone is "doing ok!" or "hanging in there!"), the desire to hang up after an annoying call so hard that the phone explodes, and so on, etc.
But every once in a while I get to do something that uses my own unique talents and abilities! For example, I received this photo that had to go in the employee newsletter:



Ignore that it is a boring picture, ok? It was important to include the three people in the front row, but the picture was way too wide to fit comfortably on the page I was laying out. I had to get rid of all that empty space between them in order to make it fit. So, I bust out my mad photo-manip skills, and BEHOLD:



Now, this sort of thing is very common thanks to Photoshop. Normal-looking women are made to look like terrifying beauty queens in order to sell magazines EVERY DAY! But I do not have Photoshop at my office. Nor do I have any other comparable photo-editing program. But I do have .... MS_PAINT! Which is to say, for those of you old enough to understand, that I have a stripped down version of Kid-Pix. But I am undaunted! I was able to take my old school skills to the mat here and convincingly COMPRESS TIME AND SPACE (ok, so probably just space) in such a way that I bet when the people in that photo see it in the newsletter, they won't even think, "Wow, did I really sit that close to that dude?" They will just assume that, yes indeed they did. They might wonder why they don't remember that dude smelling as badly as usual, but they will not doubt that they were mere inches from his (or her) armpit.

That's right, my skills are esoteric, BUT THEY GET THE JOB DONE!!
Wait, let me say that in MS_PAINT ....

(hang on a second here)...

BAM!


YES! Ok, that took a really long time, but wouldn't it make a great tee-shirt? Of course it would! If for no other reason, than because MS_PAINT has such terrible compression that it makes every image look like it was printed on cheap cotton and sent through the wash about three dozen times.
See, that would be cool if grunge were still in. But soon grunge will be coming back again! Just when you think worthless skills are worthless, they become popular again.

And here is proof.



That's right: POGS ARE BACK!
and: THEY ARE ONLINE!
... AND: THEY ARE NOT PAYING ME TO LINK TO THEM :(

xo, aro

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, I knew we should have saved those POGs!! And, while you were photoshopping, couldn't you have made that guy's belly smaller?? Well, the food is closer to him now, maybe that's the problem!

Mon Aug 27, 09:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger -Aaron- said...

Wow, way to go Aro's mom!

i was going to say that now those three somehow look not only CLOSER, but FRIENDLIER with one another. Perhaps even ROMANTICALLY involved.

Your skillz are to be praised, and so on, etc.

i also used MS_PAINT for a project involving making basic English-language worksheets from German ones for our Ukraine trip, which i would also classify as ESOTERIC as well as MAD and so on, and so forth, etc.

Tue Aug 28, 08:29:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Aaron said...

Oh my gosh, I just realized that we probably DID throw out all of our POGs! Whole plastic tubes of them! It is a sad day indeed.

I would agree that our panelists both look more well-fed and more ... cozy with each other. Such is the power of photo-manipulation! I'm not sure I could have slimmed down the dude on the left, but I totally should have added another cupcake or two to the picture!

Making worksheets in MS_PAINT does require skillz that are both mad and (I just coined this word) esoteriffic. I'm considering using it for some word processing at work now, just for the challenge of it! And also, what other word processing program has a spraypaint tool??

Wed Aug 29, 04:42:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Grant said...

I'm genuinely impressed at your mad skillz. I haven't used paint in so long that I really can't even remember how one would do some mad photo manip like you did. Nice!

Thu Aug 30, 12:16:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Aaron said...

Thanx, grunk. I have always been impressed with your photoshoppe skillz, which I know I can never fully aspire to. I will remain stuck in the ghetto of MS_PAINT.
To do a photomanip in MS_PAINT you basically just have to use the lasso tool a lot, and also the pencil+eyedropper combo. Those are the only useful tools that you have, actually. It's like photoshop, except it takes a dang long time.

Fri Aug 31, 08:37:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home