Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Considered blogging. Finally blogged. Everyone yawned.

Here's a list of six-word stories stories from various sci-fi and fantasy writers. It's worth mentioning for two reasons:
1. Even though more respected authors contributed, Stan Lee actually turned in the best engry.
2. An old college prof of mine, James P. Blaylock, offers up a story there as well! Blaylock was a great teacher and an excellent writer, though none of his students really seemed to recognize it. He knew both Phillip K. Dick and William Gibson personally, although you had to kind of pry him for details. He never threw that kind of thing around to impress people. When I mentioned in class that I had read one of his stories (which was online), he raised his eyebrows high and said, "really?" I wonder how much fanmail and stuff he gets. I wonder how many deeply respected artists walk in our midsts without us ever knowing it.
...
The thing about six-word stories is that, like haiku or limericks, they're kind of addicting. A few of the authors in that list contributed many times over, which I think sort of dulls the point.
But, oh well. Here are two more from me:
-Played PONG until dawn. Kept losing.
-Wrong step equals fire. Bring it!
That last one will only make sense if you read the story at the link.

xxoo

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

omg I love Margaret Atwood's

Longed for him. Got him. Shit.
- Margaret Atwood


Regardless, she's one of my favorite writers.

Thu Oct 26, 11:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Aaron said...

I haven't heard of her! What has she written?

Thu Oct 26, 11:15:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

The Handmaid's Tale, The Edible Woman, a number of other novels. They're Orwellesque.

Sun Oct 29, 11:13:00 AM PST  
Blogger Aaron said...

you mean Orwellian? ;)
I have heard good things about The Handmaiden's Tale, so I should probably check it out.

... of course, I also heard good things about The DaVinci Code before I read it, too...

Sun Oct 29, 01:53:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

You can borrow it if you like. I've read it a few times and I think it's spectacular. She's got a bit of a feminist edge but it's good stuff.

Sun Oct 29, 11:34:00 PM PST  
Blogger Aaron said...

Hey, I don't mind a feminist edge! I like to think I've got a bit of one myself.

I don't mind a bit of feminine curves either? but I ... um ... don't have those.
um...
that was supposed to be a joke, but I felt dirty just typing it. crap. stupid feminist edge won't let me make cheap, sex jokes without making me feel degraded!

Sun Oct 29, 11:51:00 PM PST  
Blogger Megan said...

HAHA! Good post. I really enjoyed quite a few of those six word stories. :)

Mon Oct 30, 12:18:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home