Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Moving Day

Our twelve month lease is up, so I am moving out of the apartment today. I have lived here longer than I have lived anywhere since I left home just under five years ago. I am glad that I do not have a lot of large things to take with me -- in half a decade on the run you learn to cut down on material posessions which cannot be easily moved from place to place -- my biggest indulgence has been filling my bookcase with books and graphic novels of all sizes and I still do not know how exactly I'm going to move it.
I'm excited to be moving and feel that change is in the air. I feel as if this is natural -- in more than just a physical sense, I am moving out of this space I have outgrown.
But while cleaning under my bed I came across a pile of broken promises -- a comic I never finished drawing from back in the fall, a calendar with missed deadlines for a screenplay I still haven't written, and notecards detailing the trip I took with Erin to take her back to Wisconsin almost exactly one year ago.
Here is the future, everblooming.
Here are the possibilities of the past, wilted and dusty.

I suppose I could say that my regret is never becoming who I once thought I could be, except that now, looking back I know that person could never be me.
Today, I am learning to grow up into me. That may sound like a message from public television, but being true to yourself can be the hardest thing. I am still learning what it means.

13 Comments:

Blogger Carme Padró said...

Good luck in your new home! *toes up!*

Wed May 31, 04:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Carme Padró said...

ooops! Due to *toes up!* would be quite weird, I guess I meant THUMBS UP !!! ;-)

Wed May 31, 04:30:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, but I like "toes up" so much better - it makes be think of someone lying (laying?) on the floor with happy feet!

Wed May 31, 04:57:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Carme Padró said...

ok, TOES UP, then! Mothers always win! ;-)
By the way: Hello! :-) (I don't want people thinking that Catalans are not polite!) ;-)

Thu Jun 01, 05:55:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you moving to Aro? I remembered that you guys WERE moving but I don't think I knew where to...or was the part of the master plan? I wish I'd known! I was in Orange all day yesterday. =( Let me know if you guys need help with anything else? Congrats!

Thu Jun 01, 12:49:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you're not growing up to become someone you thought you could be or were supposed to be; maybe you're growing into the person you're meant to become: you.
I like you.

Sat Jun 03, 01:04:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Grant said...

And I quote (well, an abridged version):

Pijus: (weird....Prince Charles of Wales comes to my head dancing like in "Full Monty"! brrfff! -AC...is this ok?-)

AC: um, again i'm confused at your onomatopoeia. Are you puking?

Sat Jun 03, 04:15:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Carme Padró said...

Oh...nooooo !!!!!!!!! I owe you a BIG "I'm sorry!", Grant!!! It seems that you were right: we covered the "bbrrrfff!" thing in your site, as you said! (mmm...I think I'll have to start reviewing the things I say before talking again...). Well....don't know what else can I add, appart from: very good memory, Granty !!! ;-)
PS: I'm just curious....did it take you too much time to find the comment where we had talk about it...?

Sat Jun 03, 04:45:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Carme Padró said...

*although I quite like it, because it sounds kind of sweet, I didn't mean to write "granty"...

Sat Jun 03, 04:46:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Grant said...

heh...considering all my other strange nicknames...granty doesn't phase me too much :)

And no, I remembered where we talked about it, so it didn't take too long.

Sun Jun 04, 10:47:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Carme Padró said...

Congratulations for your good memory, then! Even more, considering that we use to change from one subject to another quite often in your comment's section! ;)

Yes, Granty sounds cute, eh?

(a grammatical question: would I have to say "we use to LEAD from one subject to another..." in spite of using the word "change" ?)

Sun Jun 04, 11:11:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Aaron said...

I think the way you phrased it originally is best "we use to change from one subject to another quite often" although you would be understood using "lead," you might get a strange look.

Sun Jun 04, 03:26:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Carme Padró said...

Thanks a lot, Aro!!! :)

Sun Jun 04, 03:33:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home