Thursday, April 27, 2006

Sleater-Kinney is totally the best.

I have decided that Sleater-Kinney are probably my most favorite band ever. A lot of rock critics have written really interesting and wonderful things about them, but I'm just going to tell you that this is the music that I put on headphones at work when I am disillusioned with just about everything, and also the music that plays in my head when I'm skateboarding, the sidewalk gliding beneath my feet and the future rushing up joyously around me. Exuberant angst? Angsty exuberance?

I was going to share a bunch of songs and videos, but I think I'll limit it to one tonight, with more possibly to come. This one has a little bit of Patti Smith in it, a great line about tree climbing, a KILLER guitar groove and "aaaaaah GET UP!" The video has people walking through fields and a mystical purple circle. I don't really know what is supposed to be going on. But what are music videos if not obtuse? The song is from like 1999 I think, and truthfully it's a little artsy and pretentious, but there's enough good stuff in there that I don't even care!

Get Up


Oh man they are a great band.
PS -- here is a live version of the same song, which shreds nearly all the artiness and pretense and basically just rocks. Track is via rbally, a music blog from Boston that includes posts about a few of my friends right there along with the established greats.

3 Comments:

Blogger W said...

Aro, what would I do with out you...you've turned me on to so many good things...Sleater Kinney, comics, boot mugs, Samuari King Leer, and the list goes on. Thanks.

Mon May 01, 11:14:00 AM PDT  
Blogger W said...

Oh, definately forgot "Country Comfort" and "Time After Time"

Mon May 01, 11:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Carme PadrĂ³ said...

I can't say much about what the song talks about, because I didn't get anything, sorry... (my english is not so good, I'm afraid...) but I agree the music has a bit Patti Smith in it and yeah...the video is a bit weird... interesting "human circle of force" to get in touch with other lifes out there... jejeje
Anyway....thanks for sharing and let me discover Sleater Kinney! :-)

Sun May 07, 05:30:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home