Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Once Again, 1/4 Life Crisis

I'm thinking of moving.
It seems that everyone I've seen lately keeps asking me when I'm going to move. Or if I'm still at my same job, if I'm still in my same place, or what is new.
I suppose these are all normal small-talk questions that people ask all the time, but I take each one as a direct accusation about the direction of my life:
Why aren't you moving? Haven't you moved yet?
I've lived in this house for almost two months now. I got back from Oregon less than a month ago. I've only been working my office job since January, and my restaurant job since sometime in October. I freaked out a bit when I realized that in less than two months it will be my one-year anniversary as a sushi bar host, but that's not an inexcusable amount of time to have a part-time job to pay the bills.
But people like to ask, "So, how's the job going?"
And so I have to answer: "The job is fine! It's normal! It's the same as always!" And perhaps I should add that I am getting better and better at doing menial labor that means nothing to me! I am learning nothing except for new ways to not care about nothing! The highlight of my day is folding napkins so that they vaguely resemble roses for place settings at the restaurant! I kid not; it's true! I have discovered that anything I attempt at my office will be eventually rendered insignificant, but that shocks and depresses me less than the continual discovery that a day can become so very, very small.
The only thing that gets me out of bed most mornings are the dreams and plans that bubble constantly from either my soul or my imagination. Are they the path to my future, or just fantasies to distract me from this stagnation?
Either way, can I stay here much longer before dreams start to feel like false hope? And how much longer after that before it becomes resignation?
I'm not sure that I want to know, but I think the transformation is starting.
And the only thing I'm more scared of than that is following my dreams and seeing them fail. No one really tells you how hard it actually is to follow your dreams. It's hard! But you've got to make a move.
And I'm thinking about moving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home