Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday

Took the bus down to Santa Ana today for an interview to be a mentor for some students in the Kidworks program. The trip was made easier thanks to Google Transit, which was recommended actually by the Orange County Transit Authority website and is much better than their own search feature.
The trip only took a little over half an hour, plus some walking. I stopped at a run-down taqueria and got a couple of really delicious street tacos al pastor. I'll have to remember that place.
The interview went well, I think -- I never know how to answer questions like "what are your strengths?" or "what do you think is the biggest problem facing the youth of today?" though. They seem to require research, a long bibliography and extensive synthesis. Maybe some day I will have pat answers to give out to questions like that -- but I doubt it!
After the interview, Amy picked me up for an Ash Wednesday service at the Episcopalian Church down the street, where I had never been before. We were joined by a bunch of people from Canvas, which was nice. The church is brick on the outside and wooden on the inside, about 100 years old I think. Very lovely, though a bit empty during the service -- the Spanish service that got out as we were getting there was much more well attended.
I love being reminded of all the ways that people "do church," and found this service refreshing -- no music, no video screens, just scripture readings, a short sermon, the ashes bit, followed by hugging, then some liturgy, and finally the Eucharist.
That's such a superficial way to break a church service down, and I feel bad about it, but I need to do some serious reading before bed if I am ever going to get caught up for my Fowles Lecture Series class. ugh!
xxoo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home